Deep Fried Squid
Learned of this recipe from NoobCook.
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 1 medium squid (about 300g)
- 40-50g corn flour for a heavier/crispier batter
- sea salt and pepper
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp boiling water
1. Mix ingredients for lemon mayonnaise in a small bowl until well combined. Set aside.
2. Slice the squid to thin rings.
3. Place cut squid into a shallow but wide dish. Season squid with salt and pepper, then add flour. Toss squid to evenly coat squid in the flour (add more if needed); shake off excess.
4. Heat oil to 180C (356F) in wok/large saucepan/deep fryer and deep fry squid in batches until tender and browned lightly (about 3 minutes). Drain on absorbent paper.
5. Serve warm with a lemon wedge and the lemon mayonnaise dip prepared in step 1.
It turned out to be like onion rings. And like always, Mr. Robotic overcooked the food and it is a bit too chewy. The sauce is good though and Mr. Robotic has come to a conclusion, mayonnaise can hide bad cooking. Haha...